Time is an invention of man.
It's exceedingly unclear to pretty much everyone what I do with my time. This was pointed out by my cousin who just called and signed off with a sincere "Ok, have fun with.... well, whatever it is that you do."
Let's take today as an example of what I do with my time.
- Stinky the cat woke me up at 6am meowing about being hungry. As I am apprently elderly, I fell asleep at 10pm last night so it wasn't a big deal.
- I poured over an old wiki and imported the notes to sidenote, an "outboard brain" application for OS X.
- Wrote new notes after being inspired by these existing notes.
- Farted around with YUI! for a frontend to my lift app.
- Started writing a Weighted Slope One algorithm in Scala. I was interrupted by lunch so I put that in OmniFocus' NextAction queue.
- Went to our nephew Kyo's Red egg and ginger party followed by a trip to Target.
- Played Burnout Revenge for the Xbox 360. I am currently 25% through the game, I should be done by the end of next week.
- Found several sets of instructions for installing Trac on dreamhost. I made a note in OmniFocus.
- Stacy programmed the universal remote we picked up at Target (more on that later)
- Investigated using an in-memory lucene index instead of something like Splunk. Serialized that into sidenote.
- My cousin called and signed off with the above quote.
- I wrote this stupid blog post.
- Will pick up work on the weighted slope one algorithm.
- Stacy and I will decide what's for dinner.
- Feed Stinky and Pudding and then retire for the evening.
- I'll pick one of the 3 books I'm currently reading and work through it.
- Fall asleep in a stupor complaining about something or other.
Most days are a little different. Replace 'red egg and ginger party' with 'exercising' or 'loafing'. Also, I spend too much time using Google Reader, Twitter, and del.icio.us. At least I broke my programming.reddit habit.
# — 06 August, 2007